Wednesday, July 8, 2009

back from holidays

I haven't posted for awhile because we went away on a family holiday. We went on a road trip to Seattle. We had beautiful weather and a wonderful time. I planned ahead for 2 quilt shop stops and enjoyed both very much. My family was very patient with me.
The first shop was The Buggy Barn. I was so pleased when I saw it was only 22 miles out of our way. The setting for this shop is wonderful - the countryside is so lovely there - it is surrounded by wheat fields and so much blue sky. It is a small building but they pack it full of wonderful fabric, patterns, and samples.
The second shop was in Des Moines just south of Seattle. I had seen this shop featured in APQ Quilt Sampler spring/summer 07. It was just like in the article. In addition to loads of lovely fabric they had wonderful books that you just don't see in Canada.
I just LOVE this book!!! Page after page of incredible antique quilts and stories about the women who made them. There is endless inspiration to be found here. Oh yeah - I bought some fabric too. :0)
This is the WIP project I brought along to work on - I didn't get much sewing done though. I posted the pattern for this on March 25. I'm not real happy with the orange or purple flowers so I will pick them off and try different fabrics. I am happy to be home now and eager to get sewing again.
Happy Quilting!!

7 comments:

Janet said...

It sounds like you had a great time away, glad to see you back and in stitching mode. The applique is looking good but I know what you mean when you say you have to change some things to be happy with it.

Crispy said...

Hi Janet, I just realized that you were a "new" Janet that visited my blog, I thought you were the Janet from Quiltsalot LOL. I love your blog and have added you to my reader. What pattern is the applique block you showed?

Crispy

onlymehere said...

When you want to link something just highlight the words and then up above where you can change the font color when you're typing your post (it has a T and a box of colors), right to the right of that there is a green button that we call a green monster (looks like it has a keyboard above it). Click on it and it will come up with a space to put her link. Copy your link and then paste the link you want into here and then finish your post as you always do. I hope this made sense and helps! I love what you're working on now! I'm just getting into applique and am enjoying it so much!

Janet said...

Welcome back. I did check up on you and was disappointed you haven't posted. Sounds like to had a wonderful time. Both shops looked fun.

Carrie P. said...

The blue sky was the first thing that caught my eye in the pictures. Nice looking shops. It is always fun to check out new places. Your applique block is looking good.

Marilyn Robertson said...

Finding new quilt shops is half of the fun of a vacation! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Darlene said...

Your applique is looking wonderful - we must change what we don't like or we'll never be satisfied with the result. It appears that you and yours had a wonderful holiday - the Buggy Barn - Sigh! :-)