Wednesday, February 17, 2010

signed and dated

On the weekend I finished quilting the fans in the center part of this quilt. In one setting block I decided to try quilting the year and my initials. I think I should have gone for all 3 initials JLO which would have filled the entire square but ... oh well. I like the idea putting labels on my quilts but the ones I've made are rather uninspiring and so mostly I don't. I've read my Quilts of Virginia book cover to cover (loved it!!) and some of the quilts in it are signed in this way. I thought it would be fun to try.
Can you make out the initials in this picture? lol It's on page 61 if you have the book. Anyway, now that the date is there I better get this quilt done in 2010! :0)
Happy Quilting!!

9 comments:

Karen said...

I like the idea of quilting in the date. I have watched a quilt appraiser at work several times. She always asks if the quilt owner has checked to see if there are initials or a date in the quilting. She then takes a magnifying glass and starts checking for it.

Evelyn in Canada said...

Awesome idea. That's what Yvon has always done with his cross-stitching and I've started with my projects.

JLO brings someone else to mind though, I must say. I think it's J'Lo, but still, I think it's taken. :-)

Janet said...

I love that idea, I've seen it on old quilts too but I had forgotton about it until you merntioned it. I'm definitely going to do this on some quilts.

*karendianne. said...

Oh Wow! I love this idea. How very cool. I never thought of that. Now I'm going to stamp it onto brain and never forget it. :) hee.

Lori said...

What a great idea and I think your initial block looks terrific!

Jandi said...

What a great idea! It looks awesome! And now you HAVE to get it done this year. ha!

Carrie P. said...

Looks great and it is a good idea. On one of my applique quilts I embroidered my name and date near a stem of a flower.

Ann Champion said...

I've quilted in the date on quilts in the past. It's likely to stay put whereas, a label could be removed? Great idea!

antique quilter said...

I love this when I find it in quilts, I will be doing this soon as well.
thanks for reminding me. I do have that book, I will check later for you and see if I can figure them out!
I love finding surprises in quilts
having the date in a quilt also adds value to the antique quilts I believe or at least then varies the DATE of the quilt.
would love to see more of this quilt your quilting.
Kathie