Wednesday, March 31, 2010

trying something new

It's spring break around here which makes for BUSY days ... and not a lot of sewing. DD#3 found a cozy spot in the sun to "cut" her toe nails. :0)

I found a tutorial for starch basting on Jane's blog sew create it and had been meaning to give it a try. I have been doing needle turn applique with freezer paper on the right side of the fabric for years. It was about time to at least try something new. I had to ask where to find spray starch - I've never starched anything in my life. Did I ever feel dumb when I found out where it could be bought - everywhere!! DD#2 thought she'd give me a hand.
After the first few - I am amazed to see that this might actually work - lol
Hopefully I can get these stitched down in the next few days to see what the finished product looks like.
Happy Quilting!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this done before and the workmanship that follows is beautiful so it must be a good way to prep!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks fantastic! I'm so chuffed (pleased) that you liked and used my little tutorial! That's made my day!

Carrie P. said...

That is one of my favorite techniques when I have to make a lot of the same thing but I use hear resistant templar and cut one shape and do one at time. Saves time cutting out freezer paper shapes.
Enjoy spring break and Easter.

Elizabeth said...

I like this method of freezer paper appliqué, although I haven't tried it with the starch. I'll remember it for next time. The quilt under your DD is beautiful and she's quite a cutie too!

Crispy said...

I haven't tried this method yet, but them preping is my least favorite part of applique. It does look like you are getting great results :0)

Crispy

Michele said...

Hey, we all gotta learn sometime! Starch, and steam, are my two favorite soldiers! Michele

Janet said...

Your leaves look darn good. I tried that technique too, in fact I've tried just about everything except back basting. I'm enjoying the first phot of the cutie on the lovely quilt.

MARCIE said...

Cute little blondie on your beautiful quilt. Can't believe you never starched anything before. A new world has opened up for you!