Thursday, November 17, 2011

red and white project

This is one of my other new projects. Inspired by the fabulous show in New York - this one is for a red and white challenge I am doing with my guild. I wasn't going to post about it - I thought it was supposed to be a surprise when it was finished. But there are no such restrictions on this challenge. Happily, now I can ask for advice! This is the center setting square. I had so much fun looking through books of antique quilts getting inspiration for drawing this quilting design. I had even more fun drawing it. After much erasing I was ready to transfer it. Now I am stalled - in indecision about what to quilt in the space around the feathered design and the pieced blocks. Any ideas?? At least I have a plan for the border :0)


Here is the whole quilt. I was trying to keep it fairly small - I need to be finished at the end of May. I found the block on Barbara Brackman's blog a few months ago - she did a whole post about this block with lovely antique examples of it. I don't remember what it is called. They were very fun blocks to piece with all my scrappy reds.


I am trying out wool batting for this project. As I spread out the batt so the wrinkles could relax my eyes were burning and I was sneezing but now that it is sandwiched it's not bothering me at all. It is Hobbs wool. I certainly notice it is very puffy, I'm curious to see what it will be like when it is all quilted. It is a dream to needle and I will enjoy the handquilting on this project very much.


I am also trying out solid Kona fabric - this one is Kona snow. I really like it. I never sew with solids, my whole stash is prints. I am trying out Moda Bella solid for my trailing vines quilt. I have a few leaves prepped and hope to have some progress to share next week. Do you have a favorite solid fabric?


Happy Quilting!!

14 comments:

antique quilter said...

this is beautiful, I love the quilting design.....
I find the kona a bit stiff , I really like the moda belle they are much softer for applique and hand quilting.
BUT the kona would be great if you had a lot of layers of applique to do and you needed more body or you don't mind the bit of a stiffer fabric. I have kona in my closets , I tend to use the kona snow with my 30s fabric but mostly pieced quilts I like the stiffness for those quilts...
guess I am really not much help am i!

Kathie

Karen said...

I like the quilting design in the center of the block.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love your quilt and the beautiful quilting design. One suggestion would be to just do a diagonal grid. Given the details in the lovely design, a grid (of 2 inch masking tape) might be just the thing. In the old days (when I thought I'd live forever and did my quilting by hand), I often did a grid that was smaller/narrower than most of the areas of the quilting design. But it could be sooooooo time consuming. A third option would be to begin with a 2 inch width and then add another line 1/4" from the first, alternating double and single lines of quilting. I love the beautiful quilting on old quilts, but at some point I was forced to acknowledge that I would never live long enough to make all the quilts I want to make, so I've had to become good at machine quilting.
Beautiful red and white quilt!

Ann Marie said...

How about a diagonal cross hatch? You don't want anything that will take attention away from that great center!

Janet said...

I love your quilting design, it's really beautiful. Since you've got wool as the batting, the design is going to stand out magnificently so how you want to do the background depends on how much you want to recede or flatten it behind the feathers.
Since the block is on point, you could even just quilt lines across from right to left.
If you went diagonally, you'd be quilting on the straight of grain.

I love a P&B neutral for a finer background or a Moda Bella if I need more substance, I really don't enjoy Kona for hand quilting.

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

I like the idea of a cross hatch grid on the feather background.
Be sure to report back on the wool batting as I've heard it is great to work with, but dont care for puffy quilts.

Emma said...

Your quilt is coming along nicely. I have a quilt or two you could quilt if you're looking for more projects...

Carrie P. said...

Your quilt and quilting is just beautiful. I see others are suggesting cross hatching. I was going to suggest that too.

Dixie Howard said...

Your quilting design is gorgeous, Janet! I'm with the others on the cross hatching - I think it would be a nice contrast to the center. This baby is going to be an heirloom, for sure!

Lucy said...

I would love to try a bella moda. I think that Kona is somethimes to thick for applique. The red of Kona never bleed and keeps its color.
I'm in love with ecology cloth for background! It has an antique feel.

Lucy said...

And now I forgot to say that your handquilting is stunning!

Heather said...

Your quilting is lovely. I haven't yet tried the wool batting but it seems to make the quilting stand out. I love adding echo quilting around a quilting or applique motif. Adds an antique look and no marking!

Barb said...

Oh Janet your center quilting design is lovely!
I have been wanting to try wool soon, it looks great.
I like Lori's idea of cross hatch, it's my go to. Echo would be another idea, but then I've been studying Hawaiian quilts, so go figure.