Friday, December 14, 2012

a finish and a mistake

 The binding is on and I can start using my new tablerunner  :0)   I like how long and skinny it is and how it dresses up the table. 
 I have one more Christmas project to sew - I better get at it!!

 The basket block reminded me of a quilt my Grandmother made - probably mid 1970's.  (my sister would have been a toddler at the time)  It has the date embroidered on the binding along with my sister's name but I don't have a picture of that.  It was intended as her wedding quilt.  My sister was married in 2002.  I'm glad Grandma made these quilts for us long in advance as she didn't live to attend any of our weddings. 
  I love how scrappy it is  :0)  

 I celebrated my birthday on 12/12/12.  A date like that won't come around again for awhile.  My DH spoiled me with this absolutely lovely book. SO MANY beautiful old quilts with lots of ideas for how to display them.

Now for the mistake...  This quilt has sat around in the ufo pile for a long time.  I didn't want to hand quilt the center but I also didn't want to machine quilt the appliqued border.  I decided finally to handquilt it.  There are WAY too many seams to make handquilting very pleasant.  I knew this but I went ahead anyway.  I'm quilting these big circles - I'll be at this for awhile...

Happy Quilting!!

9 comments:

Karen said...

like how long the table runner is. I have yet to make one that is really long enough to make a statement on the dining room table.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love your table runner. Your handquilting will be a homerun in the end.

antique quilter said...

I really LOVE your table runner and it would look so good on my farmhouse table.
I may have to think about that for next year.
I think the hand quilting looks great. love the movement the circles are creating. keep going its going to be worth it in the end
kathie

Barb said...

what a nice book! I never get tired of looking at scrap quilts.
Your runner looks great. I love pink and red.
your quilting looks great, I love the circle design.

Carrie P. said...

Love your table runner and the basket quilt is so pretty too.
Happy Belated Birthday! I am working on hand quilting a 12" little quilt but my quilting sure isn't as good as yours. Lovely work.

MARCIE said...

I love your grandmother's quilt! What a wonderful treasure. And your table runner is a winner too. How cool to have a 12-12-12 birthday! Hope it was a very happy one!

Every Stitch said...

The tablerunner looks stunning on that lovely table - very well done! And happy birthday for the 12th :)
Every Stitch

Every Stitch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emma said...

Okay, so where's the mistake??? :)

Did you see the trouble you've started? When they're done if we put them side by side I think we'll be hard pressed to tell them apart. ;)