Tuesday, September 17, 2013

quilting progress

 This is the quilting design I chose for quilting the blocks for my Crowfoot quilt.  Unbelievably it took 5 evenings of quilting to get this far.  As my kids get older they think they need to stay up later  which then shortens my time to sit and quilt.  I think everyone around here could use more sleep except me - I only need more time to quilt  :0)
 
 Anyway, progress is progress!  I love this quilting design - it is perfect for this block as it misses all the seams.  I also love the Quilters Dream Request batting.  It needles beautifully!
 Here is the stencil I`m thinking of using for the sashing.  I`ve had it forever - even used it once for some free motion quilting in a border.  I won`t be posting a picture of how that turned out - lol.  I think I can mark it with chalk or soap.  I`m not sure how well it will show up with the navy print being a bit busy.  Oh well - it will be fun to quilt and will contrast with the straight lines in the blocks.  Hopefully it is dense enough.
This is the book in which I found the block quilting design.  It`s not a big book but has lots of ideas and lovely quilts in it.  I have an extra copy if anyone is interested. 

Happy Quilting!!

14 comments:

Maureen said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I'm glad you are hand quilting it. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is just gorgeous! It has such an antique took about it! I have always wanted to try Dream Cotton but didn't know anyone who has used it. Love your blog!
Kerry

Gayle said...

The author of your book - Jeanna Kimball - is a well known local quilter - she's SO talented! Your quilt looks lovely and the hand quilting will be icing on the cake!

Cheri said...

Very pretty, fall and winter is coming, which means longer evenings and more stitching time. Jeanna Kimbal was the guest speaker at the 1st quilt guild meeting I ever went to. She is so talented and her books are classics.

sforme said...

I love hand quilting, and yours looks great. I didn't know Jeanna Kimball had a book. I love her needles. I woulld love your extra copy.

Every Stitch said...

Lovely hand quilting - and I am not suprised it took a few evenings - it looks perfect!
Hilda

Jill said...

Pretty prints and striking blocks. I commend you on hand quilting.

moosecraft said...

Looks great! I haven't ever used a template for hand quilting... just echo quilted or straight lines... lol! Then again... I've only quilted 2 quilts? ;-) When you say "Quilters Dream Request"... is that wool, cotton or poly?

Barb said...

I'd be very interested in the book. ARe you doing a drawing? count me in. I love tips on hand quilting.
Your quilt design looks perfect for this quilt. I love to do diagonal quilting. The needling seems so much easier.
I love this pattern. I've heard it called Devils Claw, but I like crowfoot better.

Vivian said...

If you're having a drawing for the book, please include me as well. I'm just getting a bit of confidence with my hand quilting, and I'm sure this book would give me ideas to keep me going.
Your blocks are lovely--nice fabrics. It's such a classic block -- yet another on my to-do list.

libbyquilter said...

your quilting is lovely and isn't it nice when one doesn't have to quilt through the bulk of the seams~!?

if you are doing a drawing please do put my name in as i'd love to win the book.

:-)
libbyQ

Dixie Howard said...

Your quilt is wonderful - glad to see you are handquilting it! Maybe your girls will start handquilting along with you! On their own projects, of course...

Lori said...

I have admired that quilt for awhile now and think the quilting is perfect!! I wonder if I have that book? I'll need to look for it.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a beautiful block...I love it ever time you have shared pictures of this quilt. Love the quilting too!