Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Bride of Paradise Top - DONE!

When I bought this pattern back in August of 2010 I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into.  Last night I appliqued the last flower bud on and the top is done!  I'm itching to get quilting it but I will stay focused and finish my current handquilting project - my Lily quilt.
 The pattern was by Threadbear - Civil War Bride Quilt.  The original 1860 antique quilt top is in the Museum of American Folk Art - maker unknown.   I made many changes.  The borders are all of my own design as are the blocks including my husband, children, squirrel and church.
This first picture is under the fluorescent lights in my basement.
This picture is with natural light.
What a fantastic time I have had working on this. I know my applique skills were challenged and I grew as a quilter.
It's very large for a wallhanging - I have no idea where I will hang it once it is quilted. My daughters were hassling me last night because the border squirrels and birds could use a stitch or 2 of embroidery - eyes...  Technically its not done :0)  But close enough for me!  It has unfortunaltely already gone into the ufo bin to await quilting.  Hopefully it doesn't have to stay there too long.
And now - what next?!!
Happy Quilting!!

Thursday, April 7, 2016

blocks done

I was sure glad to stitch the last set in seam for this quilt.  The pattern is Circle Game - (somewhat modified) by Jen Kingwell.  The blocks are done, pressed and trimmed - they are all ready to sew together.  Now to puzzle out the best arrangement for them - lol!
 This probably won't be the final arrangement but I'm getting close I think.  A friend and I took an afternoon and drove down to Okotoks to the charming quiltshop there. They had a sale - 20% off everything if you were wearing an apron.  I wore an apron!  And, found a good red for a narrow first border.  There should be nothing to stop me from getting the top together this weekend.
 I thought I would show side by side a couple of the blocks I made using the pattern and just a couple little changes.  These 2 are exactly the same but I split the diamonds into 4.
This one has string pieced melons and a four patch instead of a nine patch in the centre as well as being set on point. 
It was fun to play with the block patterns this way :0)

My friend that I've been sewing this quilt along with has her top together.  You can see how different hers looks in progress here.  It's been such a great learning experience!  We haven't picked out our next project to do together yet ... but we will!

Happy Quilting!!