Thursday, July 14, 2016

block one is done

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur.  Lots of extended family stuff and many people staying with us.  Happily there are always a few minutes to sit and stitch in the evenings while visiting.  A couple of evenings ago I finished the first block of Radical Rose and Reel.  (Pattern from Collector with a Needle)
 

 I'm very happy with the mix of prints so far.  I will probably mix in a few more as I go along.  I'm also happy with a mix of back basting and needleturn applique. The back basting is going better but for the easier shapes needleturn is definitely faster and more relaxing to stitch. 

I debated awhile about the fabric choice for the very center piece.  I thought I might do it in navy but in the end I decided to keep it red. I have started prepping block #2   :0)
 

The garden blooms have been lovely this summer - this lily is a favorite.

Happy Quilting!!

16 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, such a gorgeous block! My weakness ~ red & green applique quilts. This makes me want to head into the sewing room and start another. ;-)

Maker Joy said...

Wow. It turned out so well. Glad to see you were able to sneak in a few minutes here and there.

Karen said...

I find your Radical Rose applique block oh so interesting with the mix of prints.

Cheri said...

Beautiful start Janet :)

Susan said...

Off to a stunning start Janet.

Barb said...

Lovely block! Your selections of red and green are wonderful!
what a pretty pink lily

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Absolutely stunning!

Dawn said...

Beautiful! I love the mix of prints - well done!

ann hermes said...

Beautiful workmanship and choice of fabrics! I love it.

Pam said...

WOW! so pretty-love the reds!

Cyndi said...

Love the Variety of reds and greens!

Yvonne said...

Such beautiful applique work! I love it!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Just stunningly! Love love love your fabric choices.

Every Stitch said...

Gorgeous project, applique perfection and your reds are yummy! The more applique techniques the better - great to be flexible with each new project!

Judith said...

Fantastic, love it that you've done the centerpiece in red. Blue would have made it to dark and maybe even dull. Backbasting a technic I haven't mastered yet. Have played with it though, but nothing further. Enjoy your nights rest!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Forgot to tell you that I have nominated you for “One Lovely Blog Award”. You can read about it on my blog, but I wanted you to know that you don’t have to do anything. You are already and inspiration!