Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A busy summer

Hi!  It's been awhile since I last posted.  Its been a very busy summer and while it was flying by there was little time to sew and no time to post.  
 I started this applique project the day after the August American Patchwork and Quilting magazine arrived in my mailbox.  It was a good, small project to take along as we travelled.  It's a Kim Diehl pattern - I quite often like the little projects she has in this magazine. I don't however, like Kim Diehl's applique method so I thought I'd go ahead and use needleturn applique to make this. Usually that works out ok but I found this project to be a bit tricky for placement - probably because its a rectangle and the symmetry is a little different.  Usually I think a bit of wonkiness adds charm but I'm not so sure with this project.  Anyway, I'm moving forward.
 I also didn't want yoyo's and so appliqued circles instead.  I used a quarter coin for the size because it was fast and I didn't have much time to get them prepped.  In hindsight I think the circles are a little small but they are staying as is.

This week we are finally home to stay and I found a few minutes to sit down at my sewing machine and start on the little pieced border for this project.  I had missed sewing at my machine :0)  The magazine's method for the square-in-a-square blocks was not to my liking (bit wasteful) so with a bit of math and some trial and error I am doing it a way I'm happier with.
School starts next week so I will be back to a more regular schedule soon.
Happy quilting!!

11 comments:

Ariane said...

Your project is looking great. Love it so far!!

Dawn said...

I like your new project, the circle size looks just right to me.
Back to school time is so fun. Nice you had a fun and busy summer.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Love the colors! Beautiful applique and I agree about the yo-yo's. I love yo'yo's really, but I think in this case your circles are perfect.

Maker Joy said...

Despite your frustrations, it looks great. Glad to hear that you've found some time at your sewing machine.

Cheri said...

Very pretty colors. I love how you reverted back to your own tried and true methods instead of the pattern instructions. I also generally read the instructions and then go, "hmmmm" and do it my way :)

Kyle said...

I love your color choices too and it nice that there are multiple ways to do something. Sometimes I think instructions are written using a weird method just to be different or because of copywriter issues. I don't know, but I'm glad you were able to work on a sweet project.

Barb said...

great new project. I think your circles are a good size and seem to go with the design, although I don't know what the original looks like.
Good for you to find the right method for you!
hooray for more quilting time.

Barb said...

p.s. have you ever tried the folding method of the background for placement? I find it works great.

audrey said...

So pretty! I'm like you, love Kim's work but don't like her methods.:)

Karen said...

Though I have several of Kim Diehl's books, I don't remember what her applique method is. Think I will look and see. Your block is oh so pretty.

Lori said...

Adorable! I love small projects too!!