Monday, September 19, 2016

slow progress

Well the kids are back to school and things are returning to "normal".  I have made good progress with handquilting my Bird of Paradise quilt. I have finished the outline quilting on most of the blocks - 4 more to go and I will get to the background fill quilting.  I finished outline quilting the Bride block today :0)
 
 
 I also finished making the uneven 9 patches needed for this next project.  I pieced the applique blocks together and started adding 9 patches.  I did use the 2 blocks I appliqued with Kim Diehl's machine applique method and so had to be very careful not to iron over the invisible thread when I sewed them together to the hand appliqued blocks.  I wasn't sure I would use them together but in the end decided to not waste them.  I am really hoping this becomes a completed top soon!
 
It's shown folded in this picture as toys have currently taken over my design floor space...
 
Slowly more Star-a-day blocks are getting made.  Here I wildly threw a few on a new piece of purple I bought recently.  Anyone who knows me well will smile at this - I don't like purple and I have almost none in my stash. Every now and then you need a little purple but there is no way I would ever set these stars with purple - lol!

Happy Quilting!!

11 comments:

Every Stitch said...

Your Bride block is so pretty - and she has the sweetest smile! The quilting is coming along so nicely - great progress!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh your block is a joy to see I feel the same about purple but a bit of it here a there sure can make a quilt sparkle

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh your block is a joy to see I feel the same about purple but a bit of it here a there sure can make a quilt sparkle

Judith said...

better a slow progress than no progress at all! Love your hand quilting, I got so inspired in France. Will do some more quilting on my Irish Weddingsampler tonight!

Susan said...

Every stitch is progress she it comes to hand quilting. It will be beautiful when it's finished. Cute stars.......but no, I wouldn't use a purple background either.

Kyle said...

Beautiful hand quilting and, of course, it will show up even more when the outlining is done. Loved the flow of the nine patches as the border. The colors seem to blend so nicely. Cute little stars, maybe just a few purple stars :0)

Phyllis said...

Beautiful quilting, I love that you handquilt, it is just so much more beautiful and this quilt really deserves it.

Barb said...

Your quilting looks great. It is amazing how it brings a quilt to life!
I had to laugh about the purple, as soon as I saw it I thought "that doesn't look like you"....
Happy Back to School.

Karen said...

I was looking at my Kim Diehl books a few days ago and was reminded of her method of applique. I have tried it before and not been the happiest with the results. I prefer hand applique. Your piece is looking good.

Nancy said...

I am so envious of your beautiful hand quilting.
Love your stars.

Lori said...

Wow! I always love seeing what you are working on. So beautiful! That purple is a bit bright for the little twinkling stars.