Monday, December 12, 2016

something I find very interesting!

A package came in the mail - I was very excited to open it and see the fabric inside.  Windham fabrics has a new line out called Vine Inspired By Susan McCord and I just had to order some to see it in person.  Having spent years appliqueing this quilt - one panel at a time - I was very interested to see their cheater cloth of the same design.
 So here it is - laid across my finished top.  (the cheater cloth is on the right)  It is a bigger scale than Quiltsalott Janet's pattern and bigger also than the original I believe but I haven't seen the original for myself.  Janet found out about this line and had emailed me about it in the summer. 
 It has 4 panels across the width of the fabric.  It's so flat, smooth and light compared to my top.  For a few seconds I toyed with the idea of using it as backing.  It would make my quilt reversible - LOL!  Perhaps not...
 My vine
 Printed panel vine
 Of course I had to have a few other prints from the line :0)

And handquilting continues on my Bird of Paradise quilt.  I am really enjoying it!  The 1/2 inch parallel line background fill is going faster than I thought it would.  I shouldn't be surprised though - what's not to like about handquilting??

Happy Quilting!!

14 comments:

Radka said...

Oh my, not quite sure what to say or how I would feel about it. But just think how much pleasure you have got from stitching your version, and the satisfaction that it is your work :-) And no, you cant't use the printed version for the backing, LOL.
Perhaps one of the other fabrics from the same range?
xx

Karen said...

I find this so interesting. While it would take all the indivuality out of it, it would allow someone who couldn't do all that appliqué to have a beautiful quilt. I'd be interested to see it in person.

Dorothy said...

It looks very artificial. I'm glad I have my 'real' one.
It is on display the whole year round.

Monica said...

Reversible! LOL. I think I'd have mixed feelings about this fabric if I'd spent months on the applique. I'm glad your sense of humour is intact!

Kyle said...

The detail of yours is no comparison. The colors on the cheater fabric seem close, but yours, the real deal, is rich with all that applique texture, and lots more leaves with a rich of variety of fabrics. It looks like some of the companion fabric might be nice, but you don't need the vines any where near yours!

audrey said...

The cheater panel is very interesting, but your leaves are just incredible! There's nothing quite like the real deal and yours has such life and texture. Love seeing your beautiful hand quilting! I need to try a fill-in line design one of these days!

Kleine Vingers said...

It must be stange to see that fabric next to your applique. Yours looks better! Greetings

Miriam said...

Ohh my!! Yours look sooo much better!
Reminds me I should get mine out and work on it again. Its been so long I can't remember how many panels I have finished!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Your hand quilting is gorgeous and how fun to see the cheater cloth next to your masterpiece !

Phyllis said...

The cheater is interesting and fun, but your 'real deal' never ceases to amaze me... so beautiful, such patience to finish such a piece. Admirable. Beautiful quilting too.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh - I hadn't heard about this. Well, of course, yours is so far and away better in every single way - but using the printed vine on the back of a quilt is the first thing I thought of.
Loved seeing your project again.
our BoP is looking gorgeous with all that quiling.

Every Stitch said...

Interesting cheater but am not sure of the appeal - can't beat real applique texture and real fabric selection! Yours is so very lovely - nice to see it again :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh thanks for comparing the two. Of course in my eyes there is no comparison I vote for the real thing. I have taken a break from my trailing vine. I need to get back to it after the holidays

Dawn said...

I could look at your trailing vine quilt for hours, it is so beautiful. Fun to compare with a panel, maybe pillow cases to go with your quilt?
Glad you got a few extra pieces too. Thanks for sharing!!