Monday, February 27, 2017

something old feels new

The first time I posted about these blocks was April of 2010 (I just checked)  Wow I sure like to work on things sloooowly!  These 36 patch blocks have been a leader/ender project on and off all that time. This weekend I thought I'd take them out and count how many blocks I had. As it turns out, I have 88 blocks made.  I figure that's enough - on to what to do with them!
I thought about just setting them side by side and make a postage stamp quilt. The squares finish at 1 inch - but I wasn't excited about doing that.   I had a fairly big piece of this red that I had bought for another project that went a different direction and I think it works just great with these blocks. 
So now I have a setting in mind.  I'll make a dozen or so blocks like these 2 and then set them with sashing using more of the 36 patches.  I could just leave it to work on as a leader/ended project but maybe it should get some dedicated time after all these years to get to a finish. 

So probably I won't be making so many of these Tree of Life blocks in the next while.  They sure are fun to sew :0)  It's good to have lots of projects going at once - it keeps things interesting :0)  but sloooow...
Happy Quilting!

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

4 blocks appliqued

Life sure doesn't slow down around here.  I always think there will be more time "next week" to sew and maybe post on my blog.  Oh well - squeezed in between making supper to put in the crockpot and driving kids places there's time today  :0)
 On Sunday I finished appliqueing the fourth block for my Radical Rose and Reel quilt.  (Pattern from Collector with a Needle)
 I wanted to lay out all 4 to get a picture and get a better idea how they would look together but toys are occupying my design floor space...  I found this other spot but the lighting is poor.  Those toys...  I know one day they won't be a problem anymore so in the meantime I gotta love those toys and the kids still playing with them. 
I've also been working on this long forgotten project.  I think I'd been calling it Summertime.  I had all the blocks made over a year ago.  Recently I pieced the half blocks and started cutting sashing.  I wanted the zigzag effect but liked the blocks closer together than setting with triangles so I'm attempting rectangular sashing pieces and I'm hoping to put them together using partial seams but may have to result to set in seams - I'll keep you posted  :0)

Happy Quilting!!